thecrump

Living for Eternity

8:43 AM

iPod Apps & Contentment

Posted by thecrump |

Yesterday I was hit with a pretty profound thought from a not so profound source.  I was sitting at home in a (rare) moment of quiet, downloading one more app onto my iPod.  As I waited those few seconds I browsed through my other apps and realized...I haven't even used all the apps I have and yet I NEED MORE!!!


I have an app for everything I may or may not need:
facebook
twitter
the bible
email
stocks (like I'll use that)
google earth (in case I get lost in a jungle with wifi)
restaurant guides
weight loss programs (still haven't used it)
currency exchange rate deal-e-bob (that's the technical term)
and then there are the games...oh the games...

The problem is that I cannot stop.  For every app I download there are three more that I want to download.  I browse the app store looking for the next most awesome app that will forever revolutionize my life!  Like an app that changes my youngest child's diapers or mows my lawn - I would actually pay for those.  I can be sitting at home completely at peace and then Apple runs their latest "there's an app for that" commercial and I'll immediately run for my Touch to download the swiss army knife app that lets you burn ants with a digital magnifying glass.  

Why is that?  Why do I have this overwhelming urge to get what I do not have and then once I have it am I dissatisfied with it?

Solomon said it best, "All the labor of man is for his mouth, and yet the soul is not satisfied." Ecclesiastes 6:7

Coveting is something the church does not really talk about that much, but it is as dangerous as any other sin.  The last of the 10 commandments is "you shall not covet."  Even Jesus spoke about coveting when He said, “Take heed and beware of covetousness, for one’s life does not consist in the abundance of the things he possesses. (Luke 12:15)” 

So what is coveting?  The dictionary says coveting is, "to desire wrongfully, inordinately, or without due regard for the rights of others: to covet another's property."

So what is so wrong about coveting?  Why is it wrong to really want what your neighbor has? There are a few reasons I think we need to be aware of covetousness.

1. Scripture says to not do it (that should be all we need)
2. It can lead to other sins like stealing and adultery.  
3. It ultimately is blasphemy towards God who is the provider of all things.  

We often don't think about this last one but it is so important.  When we desire more and more things, positions, people we are looking at the things God has blessed us with and saying to Him, "it's not enough!"  

Imagine.  Telling the creator of all things and the sustainer of all life (including our own) that He is not giving you enough.  That you deserve more.  The bottom line is that we do not deserve anything.  In fact, we deserve judgement and wrath for our sinfulness, yet God is gracious to us and He is patient.  Even those who reject Him are currently living under His general mercy because they have air to breathe, food to eat, and more.  One day those will be gone and justice will be done, but for now even then rebels share in the blessings of God.

So how do we combat the sin of coveting?  First and foremost we must read the word of God and obey it.  The power of scripture and the Holy Spirit will prepare us for those times when our flesh begins desiring to covet the world around us.  Secondly, we need to be like Paul and learn to be content in all things.  

"Not that I was ever in need, for I have learned how to be content with whatever I have. 12 I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little." Philippians 4:11-12

To remain content in all things I think is an act of the Holy Spirit who can help bring us perspective.  I've written something similar before but it bears repeating.

Coveting a new job?               Remember, Jesus died for your sins.
Coveting a new wardrobe?   Remember, you have been clothed in the righteousness of Christ.
Coveting a new car?               Remember, one day we will fly to meet Jesus in the air.
Coveting a new spouse?       Remember, we are the bride of Christ & will see Him soon.
and of course
Coveting a new app?          Remember, Christ has blessed us with every spiritual blessing.

There is so much joy in contentment because it comes by resting in God and His provision.  How great is our God.





0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment on any of my posts. Just make sure you don't take the Lord's name in vain or use foul language. If you do then your comment will be deleted. Thanks.

Subscribe